Having collected my swarm in late May, I have not yet fully inspected them, wanting to leave them to get on with creating a good cluster. I have been feeding them with syrup, which they are taking, and they have built on five top bars, although the three widest combs haven’t yet reached much more than halfway across the hive. This is visible through the window.
Watching at the entrance I am puzzled by the absence of any pollen being carried into the hive. I have simply not seen any home-bound bees with anything that looks like pollen. Is this because of the weather or is there another possible reason?
I plan to open up sometime next week, if we are lucky enough to have a sunny day.
- ONBG (OxNatBees) is an informal mutual support network for beginners and experienced beeks who aspire to practise bee-centric, low intervention, and chemical-free beekeeping in Oxfordshire. To join the group and share ideas, questions, information and experiences, please use this site's Contact Us form.
Next ONBG Meeting
To Be Announced
Recent Blog Posts
- Where are all the swarms this year? June 7, 2018
- ONBG meeting, 20th May 2018 – TBHs and tall tales May 30, 2018
- ONBG at the Wolvercote School Naturefest April 28, 2018
- ONBG meeting, 21 April 2018: swarms, and learning from mistakes April 25, 2018
- The Hive at Kew Gardens April 19, 2018
- Visiting the Bee Pubs: Part 1 April 2, 2018
- ONBG meeting, 10th March 2018 – overwintering, pests, crime and apps March 29, 2018
- How to tell if a hive is alive in winter March 18, 2018
- Infrared images of hives in winter March 11, 2018
- Moving a hive February 4, 2018
- ONBG meeting, 16th Nov 2017 – insulation, honey and mites January 15, 2018
- Another unintended pesticide impact December 1, 2017
- Back to school in Wolvercote November 11, 2017
- Storms, swarms and ox-born bees October 27, 2017
- More bad news for insects October 18, 2017
- New Arrivals: The Rat Box Bees October 10, 2017
- ONBG meeting, 9th Sept 2017 – colony personalities, and ferals September 17, 2017
- After a sting September 12, 2017
- Bees and beekeeping in Borneo August 30, 2017
- Lore of the Honey Bee July 30, 2017