Having collected my swarm in late May, I have not yet fully inspected them, wanting to leave them to get on with creating a good cluster. I have been feeding them with syrup, which they are taking, and they have built on five top bars, although the three widest combs haven’t yet reached much more than halfway across the hive. This is visible through the window.
Watching at the entrance I am puzzled by the absence of any pollen being carried into the hive. I have simply not seen any home-bound bees with anything that looks like pollen. Is this because of the weather or is there another possible reason?
I plan to open up sometime next week, if we are lucky enough to have a sunny day.
- ONBG (OxNatBees) is an informal mutual support network for beginners and experienced beeks who aspire to practise bee-centric, low intervention, and chemical-free beekeeping in Oxfordshire. To join the group and share ideas, questions, information and experiences, please use this site's Contact Us form.
Next ONBG Meeting
Recent Blog Posts
- ONBG meeting, 9th Sept 2017 – colony personalities, and ferals September 17, 2017
- After a sting September 12, 2017
- Bees and beekeeping in Borneo August 30, 2017
- Lore of the Honey Bee July 30, 2017
- ONBG meeting, 15th July 2017 – a rooftop apiary July 24, 2017
- OxNatBees exhibit at RSA Motivate July 14, 2017
- ‘Inspecting’ your bees – the low-intervention way July 5, 2017
- Neonicotinoids implicated again June 29, 2017
- Summer starvation warning June 17, 2017
- ONBG meeting, 13th May 2017 – swarms and exotic hives June 7, 2017
- Bees in trees May 29, 2017
- The ‘other’ bees: Steven Falk workshop May 22, 2017
- Cob beehive – an experimental top-bar hive adaption May 5, 2017
- Adapting to foundationless frames in a National hive May 2, 2017
- The Bee Meeting: North Tawton and South Leigh April 8, 2017
- ONBG meeting, 1st April 2017 – an emergency cut-out April 4, 2017
- Spreading the Bee Buzz #11 – Starting Beekeeping March 29, 2017
- Two swarms in the same hive: an update March 22, 2017
- ONBG meeting, 12 March 2017 March 14, 2017
- Beginners start here March 2, 2017